References, further reading, and links to useful websites.
References and further reading:
- Arkoosh, M. R., Casillas, E., Clemons, E., Kagley, A. N., Olson, R., Reno, P., Stein, J. E. 1998. Effect of pollution on fish diseases: potential impacts on Salmonid populations. Journal of Aquatic Animal Health 10: 182–190.
- Ballantine, D. J., Tanner, C. C. 2010. Substrate and filter materials to enhance phosphorus removal in constructed wetlands treating diffuse farm runoff: A review. New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research 53:71-95.
- Collins, R., Mcleod, M., Hedley, M., Donnison, A., Close, M., Hanly, J., Horne, D., Ross, C., Davies –Colley, R., Bagshaw, C., Matthews, L. 2007. Best management practices to mitigate faecal contamination by livestock of New Zealand waters. New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research 50: 267–278.
- Davies-Colley, R. J., Nagels, J. W., Smith, R. A., Young, R. G., Phillips, C. J. 2004. Water quality impact of a dairy cow herd crossing a stream. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 38: 569-576.
- Di, H. J., Cameron, K. C. 2003. Mitigation of nitrous oxide emissions in spray-irrigated grazed grassland by treating the soil with dicyandiamide, a nitrification inhibitor. Soil Use and Management 19(4): 284-290.
- McKergow, L. A., Tanner, C. C., Monaghan, R. 2008. Attenuation toolbox for pastoral agriculture: selecting the right tool for the job. Proceedings of the 21st Annual Fertilizer and Lime Research Centre Workshop: Carbon and Nutrient Management in Agriculture, 13-14 Feb 2008. Currie, L. D., Yates, L. J. (eds.), Occasional Report No. 21, Fertilizer and Lime Research Centre, Massey University, Palmerston North, NZ. Pp. 479-494
- McLenaghen, R.D., Cameron, K. C., Lampkin, N. H., Daly, M. L., Deo, B. 1996. Nitrate leaching from ploughed pasture and the effectiveness of winter catch crops in reducing leaching losses. New Zealand Journal of Agricultural Research 39: 413-420.
- Monaghan, R. M., Wilcock, R. J., Smith, L. C., Tikkisetty, B., Thorrold, B. S., Costall, D. 2007. Linkages between land management activities and water quality in an intensively farmed catchment in southern new Zealand. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 118: 211–222.
- Parkyn, S. M. et al. 2003. Planted riparian buffer zones in New Zealand: do they live up to expectations? Restoration Ecology 11(4): 436-447.
- Parkyn, S. (2004). Review of riparian buffer zone effectiveness. MAF Technical Paper No: 2004/05.
- Quinn, J. M. 2000. Effects of pastoral development. In: Collier, K. J., Winterbourn, M. J. (Eds). New Zealand stream invertebrates: ecology and implications for management. New Zealand Limnological Society, Christchurch. The Caxton Press. Pp. 208-229.
- Rowe, D. K., Dean, T. L. 1998. Effects of turbidity on the feeding ability of the juvenile migrant stage of six new Zealand freshwater fish species. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 32: 21-29.
- Tanner, C. C., Sukias, J. P. S. 2011. Multi-year nutrient removal performance of three constructed wetlands intercepting drainage flows from grazed pastures. Journal of Environmental Quality 40:
- Wilcock, R. J., Monaghan, R. M., Thorrold, B. S., Meredith, A. S., Betteridge, K., Duncan, M. J. 2007. Land-water interactions in five contrasting dairying catchments: issues and solutions. Land Use and Water Resources Research 7: 2.1-2.10.
- For more info specifically related to deer Best Management Practises (BMP) refer to: New Zealand Deer Industry. 2003. The New Zealand Deer Farmers Landcare Manual.
- Situation and Outlook for New Zealand Agriculture and Forestry (SONZAF)
- Best Management Guidelines for Sustainable Irrigated Agriculture (1997), MAF Policy Technical Paper No 00/05
- Beef New Zealand