We recognise that there's so much more to life than just work!
It's about creating an effective balance, which means different things for different people.
- Technical and non-technical training opportunities (e.g. advanced analytical instrument and computer training, boat skipper training and certification, commercial scientific dive training and certification).
- Support towards membership of national and international professional organisations.
- Extensive provision for national and international conference attendance and other collaboration opportunities.
- Annual performance evaluation and a merit-based reward system.
- Awards to support excellent performance in science, customer service and support activities.
- Support to get 'blue skies' research funding.
Varied, interesting, challenging work
Our scientists and technical staff experience a wide variety of challenging work activities in a variety of stunning outdoor environments.
- Varied clients and problems to solve.
- Internationally-recognised, multi-disciplinary research teams working on national and global environmental issues.
- Close links with and input on national and international planning, legislative development, treaties and decision making on environmental issues and natural resource use.
- Extensive travel opportunities around New Zealand and the Pacific.
- Flexible working hours.
- Free car parking at all locations.
- NIWA team and social events.
- Mid and year-end staff functions.
4 weeks annual leave, plus:
- 3 personal development leave days each year*
- 3 NIWA days each year, usually the three days after Boxing Day
- 1 day birthday holiday*
- Long service leave of 10 days after 10 years and a further 10 days after 20 years' service*.
An ex gratia parental leave payment equivalent to 30 days' pay, 6 months after returning from parental leave, in addition to government-funded paid parental leave*.
Safety and wellbeing
- Family-friendly workplace and culture.
- Wage and salary continuance for non work-related injuries.
- The NIWASafe programme helps to maintain staff health by offering free annual flu vaccinations, vision testing and optical requirements support, workstation assessment and a staff wellness programme, as well as much more!
- Access to confidential, free counselling to support staff having personal difficulties.
- NIWA is proud to be recognised as a Domestic Violence Free (DVFree) accredited organisation through SHINE, a specialist family violence support and service provider. The DVFree Tick is a mark of confidence that we have taken meaningful steps to create a family violence-free workplace.
A superannuation scheme with matched employer contributions (exact contributions vary).
* Conditions apply to the staff benefits outlined above.