Water take

Are you taking water for private or public use from a stream, lake, or river?

Water take (also known as water abstraction) has a range of valuable public and private uses. Water is abstracted for water supply to urban communities or for industry and commercial use such as electric power generation, forest and meat processing, or as irrigation water for agricultural and horticultural operations.

The taking of water from streams, lakes or rivers for industry or commercial purposes in most cases requires a resource consent from your regional council. Completing a water permit application to take surface water is a first step to obtaining a resource consent. Information about the water source, location, the reason(s) why you want to take water and how much, as well as a comprehensive plan will need to be submitted. An Assessment of Environmental Effects (AEE) describing any potentially significant adverse effects on the environment is also needed. Other information required may include a hydrological report.

It is especially important that a thorough assessment of the impacts of taking water on aquatic plant and animal life is completed to ensure healthy ecosystems are maintained, including any impacts on mahinga kai and cultural values.


This page has been marked as archived, and is here for historical reference only.

Information provided may be out of date, and you are advised to check for newer sources in this section.

This content may be removed at a later date.