Mobile air quality monitoring trailers
A basic mobile unit consists of a secure air-conditioned trailer complete with:
- a 10-m telescopic mast with meteorological sensors for measuring wind speed, wind direction, air temperature, relative humidity, and solar radiation
- data logging system linked to a local PC for data download and processing
- modem and cell-phone for remote access
- GPS for accurate positioning and tracking.
This set-up also allows it to be used as a general mobile laboratory. In addition, various high performance continuous air quality analysers are available and can be added as required to the system. These include instrumentation to measure:
- fine particulate (PM10)
- carbon monoxide (CO)
- nitrogen oxides (NOX)
- ozone (O3)
- sulphur dioxide (SO2) and hydrogen sulphide (H2S).
Other equipment, such as an Aethalometer (for measuring Black Carbon or BC) and a Scanning Mobility Particle Sizer (SMPS), can also be incorporated.
As the mobile units are quick to install and can be configured for a range of user requirements, they are ideal for short-term investigations of local air quality issues.