References, further reading, and links to useful websites.
References and further reading:
- Boothroyd I. K. G., Quinn, J. M., Langer, E. R., Costley, K. J., Steward, G. 2004. Riparian buffers mitigate effects of pine plantation logging on New Zealand streams. Riparian vegetation structure, stream geomorphology and periphyton. Forest Ecology and Management 194:199–213.
- Brooks, R. R., Lewis, J. R., Reeves, R. D. 1975. Mercury and other heavy metals in trout of central North Island, New Zealand. Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 10: 233-244.
- Dean, T. L., Richardson, J. 1999. Responses of seven species of native freshwater fish and a shrimp to low levels of dissolved oxygen. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 33: 99-106.
- Dubé, M. G., Culp, J. M., Scrimgeour, G. J. 1997. Nutrient limitation and herbivory: processes influenced by bleached kraft pulp mill effluent. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Science 54: 2584–2595.
- Harding, J. S., Quinn, J. M., Hickey, C. W. 2000. Effects of mining and production forestry. In: Collier, K. J., Winterbourn, M. J. (Eds). New Zealand stream invertebrates: ecology and implications for management. New Zealand Limnological Society, Christchurch. Pp. 230-259.
- Hedmark, A., Scholz, M. 2008. Review of environmental effects and treatment of runoff from storage and handling of wood. Bioresource Technology 99: 5997-6009.
- Muna, A. L., Sreekrishnan, T. R. 2001. Aquatic toxicity from pulp and paper mill effluents: a review. Advances in Environmental Research 5:175-196.
- Rounick, J. S., Winterbourn, M. J. 1982. Benthic faunas of forested streams and suggestions for their management. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 5: 140.
- Rowe, D. K., Smith, J., Quinn, J., Boothroyd, I. 2002. Effects of logging with and without riparian strips in fish species abundance, mean size, and the structure of native fish assemblages in Coromandel, New Zealand, streams. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 36: 67-79.
- Ryan, P. A. 1991. Environmental effects of sediment on New Zealand streams: a review. New Zealand. Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 25: 207-221.
- Scrimgeour, G. J. 1989. Effects of bleached kraft mill effluent on macro-invertebrate and fish populations in weed beds in a New Zealand hydro-electric lake. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 23: 373-379.
- Sharples, A. D., Evans, C. W. 1998. Impact of pulp and paper mill effluent on water quality and fauna in a New Zealand hydro-electric lake. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 32: 31-53.
- Stanko, J. P., Angus, R. A. 2006. Paper manufacture and its impact on the aquatic environment. Reviews of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 185.
- van den Heuvel M. R., Ellis, R. J., Tremblay, L. A., Stuthridge, T. R. 2002. Exposure of Reproductively Maturing Rainbow Trout to a New Zealand Pulp and Paper Mill Effluent. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 51: 65-75.
- van den Heuvel, M. R., Landman, M., Tremblay, L. 2006. Responses of shortfin eel (Anguilla australis) exposed in situ to pulp and paper effluent. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health 69: 1763-1779.
- Wilcock, R. J., Davies-Colley, R. J. 1986. Panel tests for evaluating the appearance and odour of the lower Tarawera River. New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research 20: 699-708.
- Wood, P. J., Armitage, P. D. 1997. Biological effects of fine sediment in the lotic environment. Environmental Management 21(2): 203–217.