Estuary monitoring by communities
These guidelines outline a recommended minimum set of methods for a community group interested in following habitat changes in an estuary. They have been developed in relation to mangroves but the principles can be applied to a number of aspects of estuarine ecology in general.
They are designed primarilay to provide guidance in planning a simple monitoring programme enabling community groups to increase understanding of mangrove habitat in their local estuary.
The following sections are Microsoft Word documents.
- Data sheet 1 – Establish permanent transects 1 (DOC 65 KB)
- Data sheet 2 – Record mangrove boundary characteristics (DOC 77 KB)
- Data sheet 3 – Count epifauna (DOC 85 KB)
- Data sheet 4 – Take photographs (DOC 69 KB)
- Data sheet 5 – Sediment height monitoring pegs: location (DOC 71 KB)
- Data sheet 6 – Make penetrometer measurements (DOC 80 KB)
- Data sheet 7 – Measure water clarity (DOC 71 KB)