NZWaM - Hydro: Our partners
Partners and their roles
The NZWaM – Hydro project is led by NIWA but all work is conducted in collaboration with our project partners.
NIWA is responsible for developing:
• a high-resolution digital river network and the associated harmonised geospatial database (hydro-geofabric) that incorporates climate, soil classes, land cover, surface-water isotopes, soil and aquifer hydraulic properties, groundwater and many other datasets
• the surface-water component of the modelling framework, and coupling it to the groundwater-flow and water-age models
• NZWaM-HydroDesk software
• a New Zealand Benchmarking Framework to assess validity and transferability of process understanding across New Zealand.
GNS Science is responsible for developing:
• national datasets of aquifer hydraulic properties
• compatible groundwater-flow and age models in test catchments
• calibration of these models with groundwater age-tracer data
• an uncertainty framework that will be applied in the surface water and groundwater space.
Manaaki Whenua - Landcare Research is responsible for developing:
• national datasets of soil hydraulic properties (based on development of the S-map next-generation project) across spatial scales.