The first five are appropriate for youngsters and all are popular publications aimed at amateurs, although many an expert has learned something new while reading them.
Articles on New Zealand's freshwater fish can also be found in magazines such as Forest & Bird, NZ Geographic, Freshwater Catch (published by the former Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries), and NIWA's magazine Water & Atmosphere. Refer to the indices for specific articles.
- Glimmerveen, U. 1991. Leaper. The amazing life of the salmon. Ashton Scholastic, Auckland. 40 p.
- Kalman, B.; Larin, A. 1999. What is a fish? Crabtree Publications, New York. 32 p.
- Parker, S. 1990. Eyewitness Guides. Fish. Dorling Kindersley, London. 64 p.
- Quinn, J.R. 1994. The fascinating freshwater fish book: how to catch, keep, and observe your own native fish. Wiley, New York. 122 p.
- Snedden, R. 1993. What is a fish? Belitha Press, London. 32 p.
- McDowall, R.M. 1980. Freshwater fish in New Zealand. Mobil New Zealand nature series. Reed, Wellington. 80 p.
- McDowall, R.M. 1984. The New Zealand whitebait book. Reed, Wellington. 210 p.
- McDowall, R.M. 1990. New Zealand freshwater fishes. A natural history and guide. Heinemann Reed, Auckland. 553 p.
- McDowall, R.M. 2000. The Reed field guide to New Zealand freshwater fishes. Reed Books, Auckland. 224 p.
- Merrick, J.R. & Schmida, G.E. 1984. Australian freshwater fishes. Biology and management. Griffen Press Ltd, Netley. 409 p.
This page has been marked as archived, and is here for historical reference only.
Information provided may be out of date, and you are advised to check for newer sources in this section.
This content may be removed at a later date.