Lake Invaders School Video Competition
Otago has many beautiful lakes. Unfortunately, many of these lakes are under threat from alien invasive species that are having a BIG impact on our lakes and how we use them. Increased community awareness and science-based solutions are needed more than ever to help fight the war against freshwater pests (Lake Invaders).
This competition aims to provide Year 7-13 students in the Queenstown Lakes and Central Otago Districts region with an opportunity to get creative and visually tell us about their relationship with the lakes and how the invasive weed, lagarosiphon, is affecting them.
Students are asked to make a short video – no longer than 3 minutes – that involves the theme of Lake Invaders (freshwater pests). Suggested themes include:
- What is lagarosiphon and how is it affecting our lakes?
- What can we do to help protect our lakes from lagarosiphon and other freshwater pests?
- If you were a lake manager for the day – what would you do?
Students may enter as individuals or work together in groups. All entries must be submitted by 5pm on 2 March 2020. See instructions for entry below.
Judging and prizes
Videos entries will be judged by a panel comprising representatives from Land Information New Zealand (LINZ), the National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research Limited (NIWA), Boffa Miskell and the Otago Regional Council (ORC). Judges will focus on:
- Ability to tell a story in an informative and entertaining way
- Educational value and use of correct facts
- Original artistic flair and innovation
Prizes will be awarded to the top 3 winning entries:
- 1st = $500 and GoPro camera
- 2nd = $300
- 3rd = $150
The overall winners will be notified by email by 5 March 2020. Students of the winning entries will be invited to present their videos at the Regional Lake-weed Forum 2020 where the overall winner will be announced.
Submitting an entry
To enter this competition, please complete the following four steps:
- complete the entry form.
- Read the terms and conditions.
- Print the entrant release form. This must be completed and returned for each student who is taking part in the video.
- Submit your video. This can be done in two ways: (i) upload your file to YouTube or Vimeo and provide a private digital link to firstname.lastname@example.org, or (ii) send your video on a USB stick to Lake Invaders Video Competition, Gate 10, Silverdale Road, Hamilton, 3216.
Entries close on 2 March 2020 at 5pm.
Teachers and schools may want to include learning opportunities around issues affecting our lakes into their curriculum planning. Information to assist with this can be found on the following websites: